Entity Formation and Counseling
The firm has assisted parties in determining the appropriate form of entity in which to conduct business and has represented clients of all sizes. We have formed limited liability companies, general partnerships, limited partnerships, joint ventures and corporations. We have extensive experience in structuring entities for clients’ real estate transactions. Our office works with clients’ other advisors including accountants and other tax professionals to achieve clients’ goals.
For entitles that we or others have formed, we have advised on ongoing requirements for doing business in that form. Some of the many issues on which we have advised include compliance with entity formalities to assure that the separateness of the entity will be recognized, management, capitalization, liability of the entities, their owners and affiliates, real property tax consequences of real estate purchase and leasing transactions and others.
Entity Formation and Counseling: Clients and Transactions
- Representation of Canadian corporation in transaction to transfer property in California purchased in a portfolio transaction to an LLC formed for that purpose; advice to entity on doing business in California
- Representation of real estate owner/investors to restructure real estate ownership entities and raising capital for additional acquisitions
- Representation in initial phase of re-structure of limited partnership interests in partnership who, together with affiliates, acquires and develops major multi-family and mixed use transit-oriented real estate projects across Los Angeles County
- Representation of major area entertainment venue in review of proposed Operating Agreements and other agreements between the client and an adjacent outlet mall for the joint acquisition and development of land contiguous to both
- Expert witness report in major California litigation on topic of typical structures of real estate development entities
- Entity formation work for client in connection with conversion of client’s debt to an entity into equity investments by the entity in limited liability companies controlled by the client