Real Estate Financing
Williams & Associates has extensive experience representing commercial lenders, borrowers, guarantors and other parties in loan origination, refinancing and workout transactions. Our lender clients have included banks and other financial institutions, private lenders, public agencies, and life insurance companies. Our borrower clients have included developers, investors, entrepreneurs, and other real estate interests.
The types of lending transactions that we have worked on include:
Conventional Portfolio Lending, Construction Financing, Permanent Financing, Bridge Financing, Asset Based Lending, Participations and other co-lending structures, Mezzanine Financing, Equity Investment, Government Financing Programs, Other Debt Arrangements, and Conduit Bond Financing.
As with our other practice areas, real estate assets provided as security have included almost all commercial real estate property types including office, retail, industrial, mixed-use properties, hotels, health care, entertainment venues and others. We have also prepared sets of form loan documents for clients.
We have represented lender clients in obtaining regulatory approvals to operate in California.
Real Estate Financing Transactions: Clients and Transactions
- Representation of out of state employees’ credit union in $14MM term loan secured by shopping center in Southern California; representation of same credit union in $4 million additional advance under same loan.
- Representation of borrower in financing for the construction of a Performing Arts Center at a major Los Angeles-area high school using the complex federal New Markets Tax Credit Program.
- Representation of Texas bank in loan for the construction of an assisted living facility in Northern California
- Local counsel to borrower and affiliates comprising a major Southern California University, hospital and other facilities system in re-structuring of loan including issuance of opinions
- Representation of out of state community bank in obtaining licensing approval to open a commercial and real estate loan production office in California
- Representation of Administrative Agent and Lender as local counsel in loan to borrower to be formed by a REIT with respect to multi-tenant office building complex in Orange County, CA.
- Representation of smaller banks on specific issues
- Other limited representation as a) preparation or review of loan documents for specific lending programs; b) preparation of form loan documents to be used by members of trade association; c) review of loan files prior to lender taking enforcement action and d) other matters.